Wednesday, July 28, 2010

A visit to the Salvation Army Store

Today our class visited the Salvation Army store in Redhill. Where we were given a budget of $100.00 to pick out anything we wanted of the racks! These garments were to be used in our upcycling project. It was such a generous offer and somehow I was quite happy with 6 garments I had chosen that totalled up to $68.50.

After a lengthy hour trawling the racks one by one. I picked out garments which I instantly had a connection to. Most of my garments had an interesting pattern, embellishment or applique. The clashing of patterns and prints is a steady constant in my personal design aesthetic.

As we are looking into sustainability I have decided to be conscious to document where the garments were made, the fabric content and fibres where possible.
see below;

1). A black cotton peasant like skirt with batik and sequin border trim. sz 12 by Jeans West. Made in China.
$15.00
2). A black cotton peasant skirt with white applique flower border with polyester lining. sz 8 by Katies. Made in China.
$5.50
3). A black and creme cotton animal print peasant skirt with cotton lining. sz 12 by Rockmans. Made in China.
$8.00
4). Devoure beige red and sheer button down blouse. sz14 by Callan Designs. Made in Australia.
$10.00
5). A sheer button down blouse made in a polyester like fabric with glitter leaf pattern detail. Made in China
$20.00
6). Handmade garment which appears to be of an Indian design. Fabric feels like a cotton/poly bend.
$10.00

Total is $68.50

As part of this project I will endeavour to be more conscious of wastage. Hench my reservation to collect more garments just so I have $100.00 of value. I feel with these 6 garments I have more than enough to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment