Thursday, July 22, 2010

What does sustainability mean to me?

There is a revolution happening. It began as a small trickle but now has become a very strong stream. A strong stream of professionals and industries taking a serious stand point on sustainability. Restaurateur's are ordering in fresh produce within a 200 kilometre radius to save on carbon emissions and to also support local producers. Magazines giants are now looking at online avenues to reach a larger audience and in doing so save trees in the process. Fast food outlets are using recycled papers to wrap their burgers. I could go on but I think you get where I'm going.

Sustainability is such a vast concept that at times it is hard to grapple with; as to what it actually means?  What is sustainable? How do I fit into being a sustainable professional? What changes can I make in my industry to improve it's sustainability?

There are so many facets to the notion of sustainability that the thought of just how big this issue is gives me an overwhelming feeling of anxiousness.  Where will this go? Where should I begin? 

Through this blog The Clothing Revolution, I will endeavour to explore and reflect upon these questions within my disciplinary field Fashion Design. Intuition tells me I will only begin to scratch the surface of this sociological cultural trend - Sustainability.


No comments:

Post a Comment